Harold George #47: How Did I Start Drawing?



People think drawing is easy. They think that putting down an image that's in your head comes as effortless as blinking. They think that there is no reason why others can't do the same as easy as them. 

-I'm one of those people. 
Apparently, the artistic prowess of certain individuals is not universal. Such as the ability to be able to speak and capture people in a crowd does not come easy to anyone. Everyone has a gift. Fortunate are those who find out what it is in time to make it their life. More fortunate are those who have guidance and develop their craft to maturity. I had some guidance growing up.

I don't have the drawings from when I first started, but I do remember when it was. I was no more than six years old when I began to put a pencil down to create something. My cousin, who was about 15 years old then, used to make small caricatures for me. Most of them were of super heroes like Batman, Tarzan, Superman, and so onl wait, is Tarzan a super hero? He swings around and acts like an ape.  I don't know if that qualifies as a super hero, but I've seen many DC and Marvel characters that look like apes. Where was I? Oh yeah, the little caricatures...well, my cousin used to cut them out after he drew them. They were no bigger than my index finger is now. Back then it was more like three index fingers. After he cut them out, he would reinforce them with the cardboard from one of those composition notebooks. I used to role play with them and be entertained for hours on end. I was very simple to please; still am. I wish I would have kept them, but with moving from one country to another, it's kind of hard to keep all those childhood goodies with you. That was over 225 dog years ago, but I do remember how he did it. Here's how:

What you need:

Newspaper comics, composition notebook, scissors, pencil, sharpener, pen (optional).

Start creating:
1. Choose a cartoon from your favorite newspaper funnies. (My assistant chose this lady, and I chose Dennis The Menace.


2. Place a white regular paper over the image.

3. Using a lead pencil, scratch the paper where you think the image is. Apply lots of pressure on the pencil as you scratch.



4. When you turn the white paper over, you should see the image on the other side.



5. Use your pencil to darken any sort of the image that,s not visible.




6. Cut around the image leaving a small gap of white outline around your art.
7. Cut a small piece of the cardboard of a zebra notebook matching the size of your art.



8. Using glue, adhere the image to the cardboard and let dry.



9. When dry, cute around the outer parts of the white border you left on the art. 



10. Fold the bottom of the cardboard so you can stand your new artwork.

That's pretty much it. That's all I remember. It took us about 15 minutes to finish, mostly because I was rusty in remembering the steps.



...and that's the artist truth.
-Harold

Do you have any cool artistic things you remember from your youth? I'd like to know. Leave me a comment.

If you'd like to ask me a question just email me or leave me a comment down below, I'll make sure to publish the answer in one of my truths.

If you'd like to sign up and receive the Artist Truth directly to your inbox, please click here, and as always, thank you for reading my truth.

For a more in-depth view of my artwork, check out my artbook.


Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

Popular Posts