Harold George #31: Biggie Smalls Part 1


I did a painting of Biggie when I was back in art school. It was one of my most successful pieces, at least in my point of view. I haven't done oils in over a year and I do want to get back to it, but I've been working digitally for the last couple of years and I decided to revisit Biggie but in caricature form a-la Gtoon

I usually first start with a picture. Duh, isn't that how it's usually done? Unless of course you know the subject by heart.

One of the cool things I learned from one of my instructors was that in order to see the values, I have to turn the picture into gray scale. It helps spot those dreaded dark and lights without the color getting in the way. 

I then start looking for shapes I can recognize and start sketching it. Normally I would use a 2H pencil, but in this instance I am using a grey Photoshop graphite brush that I downloaded a while back for drawing purposes.

Of course, since this is a caricature, I have to exaggerate some of the features. It's obvious which ones I chose. 



...and that's the artist truth.




If you would like to see more caricatures, check them out at Gsting Labs.


Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

Popular Posts